After 8 weeks into the 2013 NFL Season there has been some changes from my first quarter report. My report is not base on QBR or any other matrix, but more on what my eyes tell me. In others words, the look, style and feel for the game are the intangibles of this position you can’t teach!
5. Tom Brady- The numbers are obviously down from last year, the Patriots are 6 and 2 so far and if not for Tom they could easily be 0-8. No other quarterback could piece meal these cast offs, and no names to a wining record. Due to this point alone Tom stays in my top 5, but just by a thread.
4. Tony Romo- Even though the Dallas Cowboys are leading the NFC East by two games with a only a 4-4 record don’t let that diminish what Tony has done thus far into season. Romo single handedly kept the Cowboys from a complete free fall with his ability to create something out of nothing, countless times. Romo passed for over 500 yards against a then undefeated Denver Broncos team. However, going head to head with Peyton Manning resulted in victory for the Broncos due to consistent breakdowns in protection, which cost the Cowboys the game. Tony Romo has nonetheless been a huge bright spot at the quarterback position this year and is deserving of one of my top 5 spots.
3. Drew Brees- Since the return of Sean Payton Brees has found his groove again. Last season was incredibly taxing being all things Saints, Drew was the GM, the Coach, the Team Spokesman, and not mention the Quarterback! That was much too much for one person to handle. The Saints once again are at the top of their division battling the Seahawks and 49er’s for the best record in the all important NFC race. Securing home field advantage is most important for an indoor team, and Drew has the Saints in prime position to do just that!
2. Andrew Luck- In only his second season Andrew is well on his way to being the one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time! Never has a player mastered the NFL’s most difficult position in such a short time. Andrew has managed in making Jim Irsay look like a genius. All for letting the face of the CITY let alone franchise Peyton Manning leave. In a week seven match up against an unbeaten Denver Broncos team lead by the former Colts Legend Peyton Manning. Second year starter Andrew Luck showed the national audience that he was more than worthy of all the praise!
1. Who else but the Book of Football himself…Peyton Manning. It was no secret that just like my first quarter report he still stands alone at the top of my list, even though the LION KING…aka Andrew Luck is the future of the NFL. Week after week Peyton has played at history making level, but even with that said its Super Bowl Champion or bust! Fair or not Peyton’s season will be judged by getting the ring or continue carrying the huge gorilla on his back as the greatest regular season quarterback of all time instead of GREATEST EVER!