Over the course of fourteen weeks we have all watched as the #WashingtonRedskins, a once proud franchise dissolve right before our very eyes. It seemed like not too long ago that Joe Gibbs was the chief architect (no pun intended) of one of NFL’s most stabled franchises! Well, that was then and this is now…
The glory days of this must see team of the ages have been replaced by the daily soap opera known as All My Children. The once highly respected #WashingtonRedskins are at a major crossroads, and that’s putting it mildly! Washington’s head coach Mike Shanahan, who may I add has not one, but TWO Super Bowl championships under his belt, has been second guessed. The “second guessing” has been done by many people for his handling of the Redskins, and in particular #RG3. This has always been debatable, but there’s no debate where the majority of the blame lies! Daniel Snyder must be held accountable for all the bad Karma and what ever negative result comes of this union.
With this being said, this is a correctable situation. First, we must truly understand how it got this point. Let’s go back to the very beginning.
A. Dan Snyder needed to hire a coach who had credibility and proven track record for building a team that could compete year in and out. Someone who had the cache, which would attract Free Agents, and more importantly a coach who had a reputation for developing #quarterbacks! Bingo! This was accomplished by the hiring of Mike Shanahan.
B. Draft a franchise #Quarterback to be the face of the franchise for years to come. The #Redskins accomplished this by selecting Robert Griffin III. Robert was a hot commodity and was just awarded #TheHeismanTrophy, which is college football’s highest honor. #RG3 was a very rare combination of top end speed, a deadly accurate arm with the charm and charisma. This combo was the perfect recipe of what could make your franchise one of NFL’S hottest tickets.
C. Dan Snyder needed Mike Shanahan to know that he “Dan Snyder” wanted to have a hands on approach when it came to running his ball club, which brings us to the problem. There’s no way that Mike would have accepted this job under those circumstances. Dan needed someone who was clearly just happy to be employed and would’ve been more receptive to his philosophy, but of course that didn’t happen.
So what do you do now? For the #Redskins and most notably Daniel Snyder, he must, as the owner meet with Mike and give him assurances that this is Mike’s team to run as he’s sees fit. Now here is where you can save face…
1. Extend Mike’s contract as a token of good faith.
2. Ask him to work this offseason with #RG3 to make him the franchise player you both thought he was when you drafted him. Then ask Mike to give #RG3 a year to prove himself. If he doesn’t work out then the franchise will need to move in another direction as far as the #quarterback position goes.
3. Bring #RG3 in your office with Mike at your side and inform him that they will trade #KirkCousins so that he can truly develop as a #quarterback without looking over his shoulder. The biggest thing is that you make sure Robert understands that he must get off his #RG3 Island, build a better relationship with Mike, and put himself back in the locker room with his teammates. It must be very clear that #RG3 MUST play well and LEAD this franchise back to box office status or he won’t be here!
4. Schedule a press conference with Mike and #RG3 at your side and make a public apology for putting everyone in this situation…including the fans who have supported this organization for the past couple of years. Vow that this will never happen again!
5. Also you need to come to grips that times have changed and with that so must the team name, which has been symbol or your ball club from the very beginning. By doing so could give the team the good JuJu that it so desperately needs!
Right about now your asking yourself, “Why in the world would I do this?” It’s simple, look at the alternatives…If you fire Shanahan then… #RG3 is the biggest loser because he’ll lose the support of the locker room, which you need to succeed as a #quarterback. You will also lose, because you’ll never get a more qualified head coach again and the fans will stop supporting your hobby! Finally, Mike loses because he’ll be remembered as the coach who quit on his team, and was not equipped to handle the modern day player!
So by extending Mike, trading Kirk and recommitting to the long-term stability of your franchise. You will be enabling the rehabilitation of your once Pro Bowl caliber #FieldGeneral #RG3, and you’ll put you and your franchise in a win, win, Win situation!!!
Ps. I do have a suggestion for the new team name! The Tribe! The helmet logo would go back to the spear, which is part of your past! Instead of what currently offends many! Forward progress…forward motion only leads to success!
Good Luck Chief!